I woke up this morning with every intention on going into the city and doing some sightseeing, but when you look out the window and you see rain, and then you look at your phone and it says its only 55 degrees outside, all you really want to do is hit the snooze button and snuggle up. And that's exactly what I did today. I don't have any classes on Fridays so I decided to have a "Me Day" and do everything (at home) that I wanted to do.
1. Finish getting caught up on How I Met Your Mother...the new season starts on my birthday!!
2. Instead of going on a long run like I planned, do ab/arm/leg workouts in the house...while using my international humanitarian law book as a make-shift weight
3. Read my HC Anderson stories for my short analysis due Monday and starting working on it...well, at least I read the tales (it's Friday, give a girl a break)
4. Make lunch! I had a delicious spinach, tomato, and avocado salad that I forgot to take a picture of until I was halfway through...not so pretty looking then
5. Watch Lilo & Stitch...yes I know it sounds COMPLETELY random (and it is), but I have had the urge to see this movie for months now, so today was the perfect day to do it :) Extra bonus: There's a mention of The Ugly Duckling in the movie so it totally related to my Danish studies and wasn't that random
6. Email potential internship opportunities...next summer I am thinking about interning at either The State Department to work with government human rights programs, or intern with a law and human rights organization in South Africa! Cambodia is also an option, but I think South Africa is going to win (for now at least). My friend Stephanie is probably going to be there next summer too working with marine biologists so it would an amazing opportunity if we could go together!
7. Make dinner! My host parents were out this evening for different work-related commitments, which meant that I had to fend for myself. I decided to chop up as many vegetables as I could find and make a delicious stir-fry! Since I again forgot to take a picture, I will just describe it: red bell peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, button mushrooms, and small yellow potatoes all tossed together with some olive oil, salt/pepper, lemon pepper, and balsamic vinegar...YUM. It was nice to go vegetarian for once since every day I've had some sort of meat with dinner. I'm all porked out.
7 1/2. Make dessert! What the hell, I'm on a roll with the cooking so I might as well make something sweet (with chocolate duh). I looked up "easy microwave desserts" and found this delicious looking chocolate-mug cake. I measured everything correctly, however I think I overcooked it just a little...and by a little I mean it was hard as a rock. But have no fear! I was determined to make it work, and what makes everything better? Chocolate chips and ice cream. So this was the final creation:
(It tasted a lot better than it looks)
I'm going to have to practice more, but it was nice cooking again. I forgot how much I like to whip up spontaneous dishes (most of the time without any recipes). I can't wait for Thanksgiving so I can cook for my host family. Back home, it's turned into somewhat of a tradition for me to find the recipes and do most of the cooking for Thanksgiving dinner...which has been a blessing for my Grandma. I don't know what they're gonna do this year, but I'm hoping to bring a little bit of one of my favorite American/family traditions to Denmark.
I think I'm going to turn every Friday into Foodie Fridays and start posting at least one thing I make once a week.